In the beginning, it was A.A Tuttle Funeral Director (1882); the firm's name changed to Tuttle Brothers Limited in 1919 and it became Tuttle brothers Funeral Home and Crematorium in 1993, when the Tuttle's, in keeping with the times, added a crematorium to their Lutz Street location. One could say the Tuttle family, their firm and Moncton grew up together. The community was an early Acadian settlement on the bend of the Petitcodiac River and was later settled in 1766 by eight immigrant families from Pennsylvania. A township grew on the site named after LT Con. Robert Monckton (the K was dropped).

Moncton was incorporated in1855 and became an important Shipbuilding centre. Its prosperity died with the coming of the age of steam and iron ships, and its charter was surrendered in 1862. Things changed for the better in 1871 when Moncton became headquarters for the intercontinental Railway- forerunner of Canadian National Railway. Moncton was again incorporated in 1875 with the motto "Resurgo" I Rise Again. Enter Abram Akerly Tuttle, just seven years later. A native of Wallace Bay, Nova Scotia in 1852, he married the former Josephine Maria Higgins, also of Wallace Bay. The couple moved to Moncton in 1873.

Tuttle was looking for opportunity and it knocked in 1882 when he purchased a sash and door factory and building supply from his brother-in-law Thomas Kinread.

"AA" as family and friends affectionately knew him, was soon surprised at the number of requests his firm was receiving for caskets. There were no funeral homes in those early Maritime days. When grief struck, a grieving family would either ask a cabinet maker to build the casket for them or a lumber yard to supply the required materials. "Why not make sufficient caskets available and provide other necessities such as horse and hearse for conveyance to the cemetery?" AA thought. From such reflections a dynasty was born.

AA and his wife were blessed with three sons, and all three entered funeral service: Fred L. (1882-1946), Ottie E. (1887-1941) and Harry B. (1892-1963). There was also a daughter, Alice Mae (1876-1950).

AA was a man who took the infant funeral profession seriously and was never one to rest on his laurels. He had an inquisitive and searching mind and was among the first in Atlantic Canada to study the art of embalming at Syracuse, New York in 1902. He would pass this knowledge on to his sons as they followed in his footsteps. With the passing of AA in 1913, at the age of sixty-one years, the firm continued in the family and became known as Tuttle Brothers Limited in 1919, with Fred, the elder, becoming company president. The Moncton newspaper would say on his death in 1946: "He was one of the leading funeral directors in the Maritimes, and was well-known and highly esteemed throughout these provinces where the firm conducts a large business in funeral supplies. During his lifetime here, Mr. Tuttle took an interest in every endeavor making progressiveness of the city, and was well known not only in Moncton but in wider circles for his friendly manner and affable disposition. At one time he was president of Elmwood Cemetery, and it was due to his efforts, in large part, the cemetery has attained the present high regard to the public.

The Tuttle Brothers were a well-known funeral team in Moncton. In 1929, they expanded their funeral home from its wooden frame and cement block construction by enlarging the foundation of the main funeral home and encasing it with brick and adding significantly to the square footage of the two-storey building which also has full basement. What was once a wood storage and stable area was eventually turned into the Tuttle garage at the rear of the premises.

With the passing of Fred L., the younger brother, Harry B. became company president. He would also make significant contributions to Maritime funeral service.

Harry was one of eastern Canada's best-known funeral directors and was widely acclaimed for his skill as an embalmer throughout the funeral profession. He started work at the age of twelve, holding a lantern by a bedside while his father did the embalming. He started in funeral service fulltime at the age of 14 years.

He was the last member of his immediate family when he died at the age of seventy. He was connected with funeral service for fifty-seven years.

His services were employed in Halifax following the sinking of the Titanic in April, 1912 and also during the days following the 1917 explosion which tore much of that city apart on a cold December day.

He was a past president of the New Brunswick Funeral Directors and Embalmers Association and was instrumental in the formation of the Atlantic Funeral Directors and Service Convention in 1949, serving as general chairman in 1951.

He was married to the former Verbyna Grace Chapman who predeceased him in 1942. Three daughters were born to that union: Olive (1911-1982) and Muriel, Mrs. J. Geldart (1914-1973) and Janet, Mrs. Lloyd Mallory, the Tuttle company president.

In an age when women were not overly active in funeral service, Harry Tuttle might have been forgiven for longing for a son to help in the business, but time would see that all three daughters, a grandson and granddaughter, would take an active role and carry on the Tuttle name in the best family tradition.

The first born, Olive, took a major and abiding interest in funeral service and, to her credit, missed only two Atlantic conventions. The first time was when sister Janet was having a child and when she herself, was too ill to travel. Olive died May 24, 1982.

Janet being the last Tuttle was a pleasant, outgoing person with a sincere interest in people, her family and the community she has called home for more than half a century. She was a knowledgeable company president and enthusiastically embraced her work as a grief counselor. Janet dies January 17, 2012.

But if father Harry didn't get a son, he was fortunate in having a son-in-law who would one day listen to his urgings and enter funeral service. That man was Lloyd Mallory who was born in Saint John, the son of Lloyd E. (a master carpenter) and Dorothy Mallory. Lloyd went to school in Saint John and then worked in a car dealership from 1957 to 1962. He married Janet Tuttle in 1960 and four children were born: Stephen, Lynn, Karen and Scott. The two Mallory sons are deceased, Scott in 1988 and Stephen in 1996.

Harry Tuttle would often speak to son-in-law Lloyd Mallory about joining the family funeral firm and, in 1962, he joined the Tuttle firm as a casketmaker. This association would later expand to the full area of funeral service and Mallory became general manager of the firm July 1, 1971. Three years later, in 1974, he received his embalmer’s license and purchased a share of the business. The passing of the second Tuttle sister, Muriel, a registered nurse, also marked the year 1974.

Today, Mallory is company president, a past president of the New Brunswick Funeral Directors and Embalmers Association and a past chairman of the Board of Registration of Funeral Directors and Embalmers. He is a past general chairman of the Atlantic Convention in 1985 and again in 1987.

The Tuttles opened Riverview Funeral Home at 214 Pine Glen Road on November 22, 1986. The facility sits on an acre of land and is just a mile from the causeway and downtown Moncton.

The Tuttle family took another gigantic step forward June 28, 1993 with the installation of fully automated crematorium equipment. The historic downtown building required extensive labour to aid installation of the twenty-two thousand pound cremator on the second floor. The roof had to be removed, the cremator installed and the roof moved back into place.

Another redesign of the building included a spacious visiting room where families may spend a time alone with the deceased before cremation, as well as a comfortable room for those choosing to be present during the cremation.

In a booklet published in 1950, Harry Tuttle wrote these lines: "In the sixty-eight years of our existence, many changes have taken place - many improvements in practice and technique - and it is a far cry from the old 'undertaking establishment' of sixty or seventy years ago to the modern funeral homes of today."

Tuttle Brothers funeral Home has seen extensive changes well over the century of business. It was in 2014 that it was decided to relocate its business to our Riverview location to better suit our clients of the tri community. A more modern structure to suit the modern day funeral home and to keep up with the ever changing industry.